16 Temmuz 2009 Perşembe

Fried Green Tomatoes with Soy-Garlic Aioli

fried-green-tomatoes-beauty.jpg

Well, the last of my garden’s tomatoes were taken from their vines. It had to be done. They were no longer growing and the short days of Fall had made it impossible for them to turn red. I gathered about 12 of them in all and although this event was a bit sad, I also found it exciting that I was about to make a southern fried treat- Fried Green Tomatoes.

Fried Green Tomatoes is one of the South’s trademark dishes. The recipe varies the farther south you go, but here I have taken it to the vegan arena. Typically dipped in milk, I used soy milk and the aioli I made as a dipping sauce was created with. You can create any number of seasoned flours to dredge them in as well, say for instance a smoky thyme infused breading, which is what I did.

fried-green-tomatoes-w-garl.jpg

Straight from the vine, these guys were a little smaller than tennis balls.

fried-green-tomatoes-slice.jpg

I made 1/2 inch thick slices.

fried-green-tomatoes-slicin.jpg

Set them aside.

fried-green-tomatoes-spices.jpg

I combined 1/2 cup of soy flour, 1/2 cup of cornmeal and a teaspoon each of the other spices.

fried-green-tomatoes-soymil.jpg

I used soy milk creamer.

fried-green-tomatoes-heat-o.jpg

Heat the oil before you begin coating the tomatoes, but watch the heat. You don’t want it smoking hot or your coating will burn.

fried-green-tomatoes-dippin.jpg

Coat the tomatoes in the soy milk first….

fried-green-tomatoes-dredgi.jpg

Then dredge the tomatoes in the flour mixture until thoroughly coated.

fried-green-tomatoes-frying.jpg

Carefully place them in the hot oil, browning each side about 1 minute each.

fried-green-tomatoes-drain.jpg

Place them on a paper towel to drain the excess oil.

fried-green-tomatoes-soy-ai.jpg

Make an aioli of soy sour cream, garlic, lemon zest and chives and enjoy ya’ll!

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder