16 Temmuz 2009 Perşembe

Sensuous Sweet Potato & Squash Soup

squash-soup-beauty-021.jpg

The other night it actually got cold. The temp dipped down into the 40’s before 10pm and put me in a cozy kind of mood. See, here in North Carolina fall teases us. October can offer an 80 degree day while the next is in the 50’s. It’s a wacky area of the country, climate wise that is, so when we actually get some real autumn weather I head for the stove, get a pot out and make soup.

I looked in my produce bowl and saw I had one sweet potato and one small winter squash and wondered if this would make enough for two. I scrounged around the produce drawer in the fridge and spotted a little clementine. “Orange soup it is!” I thought, and as it turned out, it was the perfect compliment to a bottle of Spanish wine we had just purchased from our friend Craig at

Warming, luscious and topped with a bit of buttered & candied hazelnuts and crispy sage leaves, it completely said ‘Fall’ to me.

soup-cast-002.jpg

It’s a beta carotene Party!

soup-saute-vegs-004.jpg

Saute all the veggies in a bit of olive oil until slightly browned.

soup-add-broth-003.jpg

Add veggie broth.

soup-spices-008.jpg

Fall spices I love…

soup-add-water-spices-009.jpg

After you add the spics to the pot add some water so that all the veggies are covered. Simmer on low heat until softened, about 15 minutes.

soup-hazelnuts-butter-014.jpg

While the soup is simmering I melted a few dabs of butter and heated some hazelnuts in a sauce pan.

soup-brownsugar-015.jpg

Then I added a bit of brown sugar to coat the nuts.

soup-balsamic-016.jpg

I added a touch of balsamic vinegar as well.

soup-fry-sage-006.jpg

I also crisp fried a few sprigs of sage from the garden. I have to say, one thing I LOVE is crispy sage leaves.

soup-add-clemintine-011.jpg

Back at the soup pot, I added the juice of one clementine.

soup-puree-012.jpg

Then I pureed the soup until smooth. I also LOVE my stick mixer.

soup-add-cream-013.jpg

I then added a bit of half and half. You could use soy creamer as well. I seasoned with salt and pepper to taste and plated it up with the wine.

soup-finished-017.jpg

Although the days are getting shorter and winter is close to follow; soups like this make an evening’s dinner cozy and warm.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder