16 Temmuz 2009 Perşembe

Oven 'Fried' Corn Tortilla Chips

corn-tortilla-chips-beauty.jpg

It’s late at night. You’re craving something crunchy to munch on while watching some bad TV. You don’t want to eat just any old junk food, you are health conscience and care about what you feed your body. I have been there, my friends, with nothing in the pantry that fits that bill. Usually, I have a stack of good corn tortillas in my fridge, which brings me to this post.

In my quest for healthy, yet decadent tasting snack foods, I have been experimenting with different ways of making home *fried* corn chips. The key was to have a chip that tasted like it had been put in a deep fryer, with crispy pockets of air and big flavor. After many tests, I arrived at this chip. Crispy and seasoned well, this chip is great with salsa, hummus or just eaten plain. Plus the calories are so much lower than anything you can buy in the store (that are made from natural ingredients, not chemicals). These chips are easy to make and can be baked in advance, although they are best eaten the fresh from the oven. So, the next time the chip munchies come along, try this recipe.

corn-tortilla-chips-1.jpg

Start with a good corn tortilla. I like Pepitos brand because they don’t use lard and they are super low in calories. At 11 calories a chip they won’t blow your diet.

corn-tortilla-chips-2.jpg

Make a stack of the tortillas and cut in half.

corn-tortilla-chips-3.jpg

Now cut the stack in quarters.

corn-tortilla-chips-4.jpg

Put the wedges in a good size bowl and add about 1 1/2 Tbs. of good oil. Canola is what I like to use.Peanut oil makes the crispiest chips, but the health benefits fly out the window, so I don’t recommend that oil.

corn-tortilla-chips-5.jpg

Now add your spices. Here, I used a combo of onion and garlic powders, chili powders, seafood seasoning and a bit of salt.

corn-tortilla-chips-6.jpg

Now toss really well. You need to make sure that all the chips have been fairly well coated to get the maximum crunch.

corn-tortilla-chips-7.jpg

Lay them out on a non greased baking sheet.

corn-tortilla-chips-8.jpg

Bake the chips at 425 degrees for about 10-12 minutes. Make sure to watch them because they can literally become little coal chips if your oven runs hot.

corn-tortilla-chips-9.jpg

Serve with your favorite dip and enjoy!

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder