16 Temmuz 2009 Perşembe

Mummified Herb Preserve


herb-preserve-002-beauty.jpg

It’s a hard thing to do. Waving a big “good-bye” to summers bounty of fresh herbs. I was not looking forward to parting with my basil and mint crop over the winter, so I started searching for options to help me with my herb withdrawals.

Somehow, I am not even sure how, I came across an article about freezing herbs in salt to keep them for use over the winter. The sound of fresh herbs buried in salt sounded not-so-appealing to me. Would they become dry as a fallen leaf? Would they retain the flavor of their sodium captors? The questions had me curious.

So, for this blog I decided to MacGuyver it for you. I am posting the initial directions on how to do this, then throughout the winter months I will add these mummified herbs to some recipes and let you know how their entombment worked.
Sound like a plan? Good. Here’s what to do.

herb-preserve-salt-herbs

Contestants, pick your herbs! I had basil, oregano, mint and thyme.

herb-preserve-salt-layer-on-bottom

First, make a thin layer of kosher salt on the bottom of your container. Then place some clean and dry herbs on top.

herb-preserve-cover-in-salt

Then cover that layer in salt.

herb-preserve-fully-cover-in-salt

Depending on the depth of the conatiner, you can make various layers, but the goal is to have the herbs completely covered in the salt.

herb-preserve-put-a-lid-on-label

Then put on your lid and label the container.

herb-preserve-many-herbs

Do the same with all your herbs.

herb-preserve-in-the-freezer

Then put them in the freezer. To use, take out what you need, rinse well in cold water and use as you would fresh herbs. I read that the flavor is the same, but the look of the herbs not so good.
Also, the salt is supposedly full of the herb flavors, so you get 2 culinary treats for the price of one.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder